step by step on how movement was given to the characters why I gave them that movement and what I would had added if I had better time management
Because I wanted the game to have some movement to it, animations were needed. The assets being in a pixelized style was both a benefit and a detriment to the process; on the one hand, the animations only had to be minor and since the images were relatively simple, I could get away with just selecting parts and rotating or moving them slightly but on the other hand, because they were simplistic images, one wayward pixel made all the difference which was frustrating for someone who wasn’t used to that sort of thing.
All the animations were created on Aseprite as that was the program I had been using to create the sprites in the first place and since the program has animation features meant for pixel art, then why not take advantage of that?
To start, I take an existing image/asset and select the area to which I want to add movement to using the lasso tool. It was difficult to select the exact right area due to the pixel grid and my own shaky hands.
The selected area is then moved the smallest amount and a new frame is made and the process is repeated until I’m satisfied.
Each frame has subtle differences that may not be noticeable by themselves but when put together and played, the subtle movements add life to a static sprite.
In Aseperite, the ‘frame speed’ was altered to have each frame last longer as the default speed was too quick and made him look as if he was hyperventilating. I still think that his movement is a bit too fast but I experimented with slowing it down further but then it became too slow so I went with this speed as it seemed the best overall.
This method of adding movement was repeated for all the animations.